TeachersFirst's Middle School Brain Twisters
Week of June 11, 2013
1.Which pair of prefixes means "around" ?
- Pre-, ante-
- Sub-, under-
- Quadra-, tetra-
- circum-, peri-
- Quasi-, semi-
2.Which trip would not require crossing "Old Man River"?
- Omaha to Sacramento
- Albany to Austin
- Nashville to Cheyenne
- Wichita to Milwaukee
- Phoenix to Detroit
3.Which would not have a web address ending in .edu?
- The University of the South
- Penn State University
- The College of William and Mary
- The Electoral College
- The Smithsonian Institution
4.Which two agencies are most likely to investigate a mid-air collision?
- FEMA and FBI
- CIA and FAA
- FEMA and NOAA
- IRS and SEC
- NTSB and FAA
5.The filibuster is
- An ice cream dessert made of nuts and fudge
- A legislative tactic in the Senate
- A mixed-breed dog that gives off few allergens and little dander
- A kind of outdoor gear used in swift rivers and streams
- A net-like cloth used for making cheese
6.Twelve times 3.5 to the 10th power is
- 12 times 10 to the 3rd power
- 42 times 10 to the 10th power
- 36.5 times 10 to the 12th power
- 4.2 times 10 to the 11th power
- 35 times 10 to the 12th power
7.Which unscrambled summer word comes last in the dictionary?
8.Which city is LEAST likely to experience a hurricane?
- New Orleans
- New York
9.Which word in this sentence is a preposition?
As long as it's this hot, I will keep a water bottle carefully tucked inside my backpack.
10.Ralph's lawn sprinklers use 15 gallons of water per minute. If he waters every 7 days, running the sprinklers for 45 minutes each time, how much water will he use on his lawn during the hottest twelve weeks of summer?
- 4725 gal.
- 8100 gal.
- not enough information
- 3780 gal.
- 56,700 gal.
© 2006-2013 by The Source for Learning, Inc. All rights reserved.